“My tales, like those of the Thousand and One Nights, are intended not to persuade readers, but to entertain and touch them.”
Jorge Luis Borges, Foreword to the Brodie’s Report
I am a Turkish composer currently based in Vienna. I have studied and acquired professional experience in four countries: Turkey, Uzbekistan, the Netherlands, and Austria. Close artistic collaborations with certain soloists and collectives, namely Matthias Arter (oboe, Switzerland), Aleksandra Bajde (composition & voice, Slovenia), the Omnibus Ensemble (Uzbekistan), the pre-art soloists (Switzerland), the Nieuw Ensemble (the Netherlands), the Ensemble Modelo62 (the Netherlands), and the ensemble XX. jahrhundert (Austria) played a significant role in my artistic development. I should mention the studies with Richard Ayres, extra-curricular mentorship of Joël Bons, as well as master-classes with Dmitri Kourliandski as other important influences on me.
Most of my compositions strongly differ from one another, displaying a plurality of aesthetic directions and accompanying technical tools. Nonetheless, it can be observed that my music strongly tends to be expressive – it is impulsive with frequent and abrupt changes, and rich in the sense of diversity of musical scenes and situations that it presents.
My works have been awarded with a number of prizes and honors. Here is a selection of them:
- 2020 – Call for Projects, ISCM Austrian Section, Selected
- 2019 – ISCM World New Music Days 2020 in New Zealand – One of the two selected composers from Austria
- 2019 – impuls Composition Competition, Austria, Winner
- 2019 – Call for Applications, Makrokosmos Quartet, Winner
- 2019 – International Call for Scores, mdi Ensemble, Italy, Winner
- 2019 – Call for Scores, Nief-Norf Summer Festival, USA, Winner
- 2019 – Call for Scores, 28th International Review of Composers organised by the Composers’ Association of Serbia, Winner
- 2018 – ‘Satellite 2018–19’ project of the Ensemble Phoenix Basel, Switzerland, One of the selected composers
- 2018 – ‘Startstipendium’ for Music and Performing Arts of the Austrian Federal Chancellery, Austria
- 2017 – Call for Scores, Ensemble Reconsil Vienna, Austria, Winner
- 2015 – Gargonza Arts Award (nominated by Heinz Holliger), Germany, A three months artist residency award in Italy
- 2015 – MIAM Composition Award, Turkey
- 2015 – Funding for a two-years artistic project with the Ensemble Modelo62 from the Dutch Performing Arts Funds, the Netherlands
- 2013 – Gaudeamus Award, the Netherlands, Honorable Mention
- 2009 – 5th Pre-Art Competition for Young Composers, Switzerland, 1st Prize
I also work as the Assistant Artistic Director at the ensemble XX. jahrhundert.
Here you can find my portrait interview on the Music Austria (MICA) website (in German).
CURRENT & UPCOMING PROJECTS
- Commissions in 2020: New work for the Klangforum Wien commissioned by impuls; new work for the ensemble XX. jahrhundert; new work for the Makrokosmos Quartet; new work for the airborne extended
- Commissions in 2021/22: new work for the Riot Ensemble; new sound theatre work in collaboration with The Black Page Orchestra; new work for the Trio Tempestoso; new work for the Many Many Oboes (CH); new work for Alexander Gabrys (POL/CH); new work for Antonio Politano (IT)
duo clearobscure (Aleksandra Bajde & Emre Sihan Kaleli) is a contemporary music duo currently based in Vienna.
Their work combines contemporary playing/singing techniques with theatrical elements and improvisation.