“My tales, like those of the Thousand and One Nights, are intended not to persuade readers, but to entertain and touch them.”
Jorge Luis Borges, Foreword to the Brodie’s Report
I am an Austrian composer of Turkish origin, who is based in Vienna. I have studied and acquired professional experience in four countries: Turkey, Uzbekistan, the Netherlands, and Austria. My works are performed by Klangforum Wien (AT), Black Page Orchestra (AT), ensemble XXI. jahrhundert (AT), Nieuw Ensemble (NL), Riot Ensemble (UK) and Bilkent Symphony Orchestra (TR) among others.
My works have been awarded with a number of prizes and honors. Here is a selection of them:
- 2022 – ‘Förderungspreis’ of the City of Vienna in the Field of Music
- 2022 – 2nd Prize at the Salvatore Martirano Memorial Composition Award Competition 2022
- 2021 – Austrian State Scholarship for Composition
- 2019 – ISCM World New Music Days 2020 in New Zealand – One of the two selected composers from Austria
- 2019 – impuls Composition Competition, Austria, Winner
- 2019 – International Call for Scores, mdi Ensemble, Italy, Winner
- 2018 – ‘Startstipendium’ for Music and Performing Arts of the Austrian Federal Chancellery, Austria
- 2015 – Gargonza Arts Award (nominated by Heinz Holliger), Germany, A three months artist residency award in Italy
- 2015 – MIAM Composition Award, Turkey
- 2013 – Gaudeamus Award, the Netherlands, Honorable Mention
- 2009 – 5th Pre-Art Competition for Young Composers, Switzerland, 1st Prize
I also work as the Assistant Artistic Director at the ensemble XXI. jahrhundert.
Here you can find my portrait interview on the Music Austria (MICA) website (in German).
CURRENT & UPCOMING PROJECTS
- Project 2023: New work for the Phace Ensemble; New work for Flute Quartett (WDR commission); New work for Between Feathers Ensemble
- Projects 2022: New Work for ensemble XXI. jahrhundert premiered in October 2022 at Wiener Konzerthaus; Hybrid Technologies for ensemble and electronics, commissioned by Riot Ensemble and premiered in September 2022 at the Gaudeamus Music Week; Subterranean – an interdisciplinary performance work created in collaboration with Teresa Doblinger (Choreography), Sara-Lisa Bals (Scenography) and The Black Page Orchestra, and premiered in June 2022 in REAKTOR
*Many thanks to City of Vienna, Federal Ministry Republic of Austria for Arts, Culture, Civil Service and Sport and SKE-Fonds for the financial support of my works in form of grants and scholarships
duo clearobscure (Aleksandra Bajde & Emre Sihan Kaleli) is a contemporary music duo currently based in Vienna.
Their work combines contemporary playing/singing techniques with theatrical elements and improvisation.