“My tales, like those of the Thousand and One Nights, are intended not to persuade readers, but to entertain and touch them.”
Jorge Luis Borges, Foreword to the Brodie’s Report
I am a Turkish composer currently based in Vienna. I have studied and acquired professional experience in four countries: Turkey, Uzbekistan, the Netherlands, and Austria. Close artistic collaborations with certain soloists and collectives, namely Matthias Arter (oboe, Switzerland), Aleksandra Bajde (composition & voice, Slovenia), the Omnibus Ensemble (Uzbekistan), the pre-art soloists (Switzerland), the Nieuw Ensemble (the Netherlands), and the Ensemble Modelo62 (the Netherlands), played a significant role in my artistic development. I should mention the studies with Richard Ayres, extra-curricular mentorship of Joël Bons, as well as master-classes with Dmitri Kourliandski as other important influences on me.
Most of my compositions strongly differ from one another, displaying a plurality of aesthetic directions and accompanying technical tools. Nonetheless, it can be observed that my music strongly tends to be expressive – it is impulsive with frequent and abrupt changes, and rich in the sense of diversity of musical scenes and situations that it presents. What my music offers to the audience is thus a multitude of musical possibilities instead of following the development of a single thought. In that regard, my approach to music composition is rather intuitive than rational: I consider the rational experience as only one of many ways to experience the world, whereas my strongest experience of an artwork is when it resonates with me in a way that cannot be put into words. This is to say: Magic happens only when we do not understand how a trick is performed.
My works have been awarded with a number of prizes and honors. Here is a selection of them:
- 2019 – ISCM World New Music Days 2020 in New Zealand – one of the two selected composers from Austria
- 2019 – impuls Composition Competition, Austria, Winner
- 2019 – Call for Applications, Makrokosmos Quartet, Selected
- 2019 – International Call for Scores, mdi Ensemble, Italy, Winner
- 2019 – Call for Scores, Nief-Norf Summer Festival, USA, Winner
- 2019 – Call for Scores, 28th International Review of Composers organised by the Composers’ Association of Serbia, Selected Composer
- 2018 – ‘Satellite 2018–19’ project of the Ensemble Phoenix Basel, Switzerland, Selected Composer
- 2018 – ‘Startstipendium’ for Music and Performing Arts of the Austrian Federal Chancellery, Austria
- 2017 – Call for Scores, Ensemble Reconsil Vienna, Austria, Winner
- 2015 – Gargonza Arts Award (nominated by Heinz Holliger), Germany, A three months artist residency award in Italy
- 2015 – MIAM Composition Award, Turkey
- 2015 – Funding for a two-years artistic project with the Ensemble Modelo62 from the Dutch Performing Arts Funds, the Netherlands
- 2013 – Gaudeamus Award, the Netherlands, Honorable Mention
- 2009 – 5th Pre-Art Competition for Young Composers, Switzerland, 1st Prize
I also work as the Assistant Artistic Director at the ensemble XX. jahrhundert and as the Secretary at the ISCM Austian Section. My works are published by the Donemus (NL).
UPCOMING & CURRENT PROJECTS
duo clearobscure (Aleksandra Bajde & Emre Sihan Kaleli) is a contemporary music duo currently based in Vienna.
Their work combines contemporary playing/singing techniques with theatrical elements and improvisation.