Born in Ankara in 1987, I am a Turkish composer based in Vienna. I studied and acquired professional experience in four countries: Turkey, Uzbekistan, the Netherlands, and Austria. Throughout the years, I had the opportunity of developing close artistic connections with certain soloists and collectives: Matthias Arter (oboe, Switzerland), the Omnibus Ensemble (Uzbekistan), the pre-art soloists (Switzerland), the Nieuw Ensemble (the Netherlands), and the Ensemble Modelo62 (the Netherlands). These collaborations played a significant role in my artistic development. Perhaps a natural consequence of having lived in countries that are culturally significantly diverse, heretofore my work has not been focusing on one singular aesthetic direction or style: most of my compositions strongly differ from one another, displaying a plurality of aesthetic directions and accompanying technical tools. It can however be observed that my music strongly tends to be expressive – it is impulsive with frequent and abrupt changes, and rich in the sense of diversity of musical scenes and situations that it presents.
My works have been awarded with a number of prizes and honours. Here is a selection of them:
- 2019 – impuls Composition Competition, Austria, Winner
- 2019 – Call for Scores, 28th International Review of Composers organised by the Composers’ Association of Serbia, Selected Composer
- 2019 – Call for Scores, Nief-Norf Summer Festival, USA, Winner
- 2018 – ‘Satellite 2018–19’ project of the Ensemble Phoenix Basel, Switzerland, Selected Composer
- 2018 – ‘Startstipendium’ for Music and Performing Arts of the Austrian Federal Chancellery, Austria
- 2017 – Call for Scores, Ensemble Reconsil Vienna, Austria, Winner
- 2016 – 3rd International Mauricio Kagel Competition, Austria, Honorable Mention
- 2015 – Gargonza Arts Award (nominated by Heinz Holliger), Germany, A three months artist residency award in Italy
- 2015 – MIAM Composition Award, Turkey
- 2015 – Funding for a two-years artistic project with the Ensemble Modelo62 from the Dutch Performing Arts Funds, the Netherlands
- 2013 – Gaudeamus Award, the Netherlands, Honorable Mention
- 2009 – 5th Pre-Art Competition for Young Composers, Switzerland, 1st Prize
My works are published by Donemus (NL).
UPCOMING & CURRENT PROJECTS
duo clearobscure (Aleksandra Bajde & Emre Sihan Kaleli) is a contemporary music duo currently based in Vienna.
Their work combines contemporary playing/singing techniques with theatrical elements and improvisation.