“My tales, like those of the Thousand and One Nights, are intended not to persuade readers, but to entertain and touch them.”
Jorge Luis Borges, Foreword to the Brodie’s Report
Born in Ankara in 1987, I am a Turkish composer based in Vienna. I studied and acquired professional experience in four countries: Turkey, Uzbekistan, the Netherlands, and Austria. I had the opportunity of developing close artistic connections with certain soloists and collectives: Matthias Arter (oboe, Switzerland), the Omnibus Ensemble (Uzbekistan), the pre-art soloists (Switzerland), the Nieuw Ensemble (the Netherlands), and the Ensemble Modelo62 (the Netherlands). These collaborations played a significant role in my artistic development. Perhaps a natural consequence of having lived in countries that are culturally significantly diverse, heretofore my work has not been focusing on one singular aesthetic direction or style: most of my compositions strongly differ from one another, displaying a plurality of aesthetic directions and accompanying technical tools. It can however be observed that my music strongly tends to be expressive – it is impulsive with frequent and abrupt changes, and rich in the sense of diversity of musical scenes and situations that it presents.
My works have been awarded with a number of prizes and honors. Here is a selection of them:
- 2019 – International Call for Scores, mdi Ensemble, Italy, Winner
- 2019 – impuls Composition Competition, Austria, Winner
- 2019 – Call for Scores, 28th International Review of Composers organised by the Composers’ Association of Serbia, Selected Composer
- 2019 – Call for Scores, Nief-Norf Summer Festival, USA, Winner
- 2018 – ‘Satellite 2018–19’ project of the Ensemble Phoenix Basel, Switzerland, Selected Composer
- 2018 – ‘Startstipendium’ for Music and Performing Arts of the Austrian Federal Chancellery, Austria
- 2017 – Call for Scores, Ensemble Reconsil Vienna, Austria, Winner
- 2015 – Gargonza Arts Award (nominated by Heinz Holliger), Germany, A three months artist residency award in Italy
- 2015 – MIAM Composition Award, Turkey
- 2015 – Funding for a two-years artistic project with the Ensemble Modelo62 from the Dutch Performing Arts Funds, the Netherlands
- 2013 – Gaudeamus Award, the Netherlands, Honorable Mention
- 2009 – 5th Pre-Art Competition for Young Composers, Switzerland, 1st Prize
My works are published by Donemus (NL).
UPCOMING & CURRENT PROJECTS
duo clearobscure (Aleksandra Bajde & Emre Sihan Kaleli) is a contemporary music duo currently based in Vienna.
Their work combines contemporary playing/singing techniques with theatrical elements and improvisation.