Born in Ankara in 1987, I am a Turkish composer based in Vienna. I studied and acquired professional experience in four countries: Turkey, Uzbekistan, the Netherlands, and Austria. I had the opportunity of developing close artistic connections with certain soloists and collectives: Matthias Arter (oboe, Switzerland), the Omnibus Ensemble (Uzbekistan), the pre-art soloists (Switzerland), the Nieuw Ensemble (the Netherlands), and the Ensemble Modelo62 (the Netherlands). These collaborations played a significant role in my artistic development. Studies with Richard Ayres and Willem Jeths as well as extra-curricular mentorship from Artyom Kim, Joël Bons, and Peter Adriaansz have been other important influences on me. Perhaps a natural consequence of having lived in countries that are culturally significantly diverse, heretofore my work has not been focusing on one singular aesthetic direction or style. On the contrary: most of my compositions strongly differ from one another, displaying a plurality of aesthetic directions and accompanying technical tools. It can however be observed that my music strongly tends to be expressive – it is impulsive with frequent and abrupt changes, and rich in the emotions and emotional states it reflects.
My works have been awarded with a number of prizes and honours. Here is a selection of them:
- 2019 – impuls Composition Competition, Austria, Selected Composer
- 2019 – Call for Scores, Nief-Norf Summer Festival, USA, Selected Composer
- 2018 – ‘Satellite 2018–19’ project of the Ensemble Phoenix Basel, Switzerland, Selected Composer
- 2018 – ‘Startstipendium’ for Music and Performing Arts of the Austrian Federal Chancellery, Austria
- 2017 – Call for Scores, Ensemble Reconsil Vienna, Austria, Selected Composer
- 2016 – 3rd International Mauricio Kagel Competition, Austria, Honorable Mention
- 2015 – Gargonza Arts Award (nominated by Heinz Holliger), Germany, A three months artist residency award in Italy
- 2015 – MIAM Composition Award, Turkey
- 2015 – Funding for a two-years artistic project with the Ensemble Modelo62 from the Dutch Performing Arts Funds, the Netherlands
- 2013 – Gaudeamus Award, the Netherlands, Honorable Mention
- 2009 – 5th Pre-Art Competition for Young Composers, Switzerland, 1st Prize
My works are published by Donemus (NL).
UPCOMING & CURRENT PROJECTS
- Next projects: New work for Klangforum Wien, commissioned by impuls; New work for airborne extended; New work for Makrokosmos Quartet
- Currently in progress: New work for one of the greatest double bass players of contemporary music – Aleksander Gabrys – and the Ensemble Phoenix Basel. The piece will be result of the workshops series organised by the Ensemble Phoenix, in the framework of their programme ‘Satellite 2018–19’
duo clearobscure (Aleksandra Bajde & Emre Sihan Kaleli) is a contemporary music duo currently based in Vienna.
Their work combines contemporary playing/singing techniques with theatrical elements and improvisation.